Here are some suggestions to consider including in your Regula Vitae. Please don’t try to include them all– choose some. And add your own, which will probably be much better than someone else’s! These are intended to start you thinking.
Simplicity and Generosity
- Keep a diary of my discretionary purchases and reflect on them
- Make a habit of giving things away
Silence and Solitude
- At least four times a year, plan a half-day alone
- Speak less. Listen more.
- Host people for a meal once a month
- Build intentional friendships with…
- Learn more about the importance of rest (recommended: Alex Soojung-Kim Pang, “Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less.” )
- Stay home and do nothing at least one night each week
Fasting and Lament
- Fast at least one meal once a month
- Observe the anniversary of a personal tragedy this year
- Thank God more often
- Celebrate people’s milestones
Patience and Submission
- Walk more. Drive less.
- Meet with a mentor at least once every two months
Meditation and Prayer
- Practice ‘centering down‘ once a week
- Speak Less. Listen More.
- Commit to a church community and join them for regular worship services
- Regularly ask myself what “living authentically before God” might look like. See Micah 6:8.
The Discipline of Service
- Sign up to volunteer regularly
- Put others before myself in all things
Living the Story
- Read scripture at least 5 days a week
- Read two Christian biographies this year
Taken from Appendix One, The Tortoise and The Hare, by Andrew Shamy, Sam Bloore and Roshan Allpress